Corners of Mouth
Drooping at the corners of the mouth is usually triggered by high contraction of one or both “depressor anguli oris” muscles. This balancing set of jaw muscles run through the mouth corners and is accountable for the upset look. This drooping lip on the mouth corners can have various causes. The major cause of this is ageing. As the person ages, skin loses its ability to bounce back from the mobility of muscles beneath them, because it would have already lost much of its collagen and elastin. Collagen keeps the skin firm, and elastin is responsible for skin tightness. Due to the loss of this structure, skin shape becomes less distinct. It results in sagging of the skin through the corners of the mouth. Influenced by all these factors, drooping of the skin is majorly induced by:
- Dragging down by strong muscles in the face and neck.
- Overall loose skin.
- Volume loss owing to the aging process.
- Reduction of buccal or cheek fat.
Wrinkle relaxing treatment works by blocking the release of acetylcholine, which then it stops the contraction of muscles. Restricting these muscles will not only eliminate wrinkles and fine lines, but also lift the corners of the mouth. When administered by trained professionals, it can be effective in targeting and weakening the depressor anguli oris muscle. Due to this reduction in mobility, elevator muscles will lift the corners of the mouth effectively.
It is vital to have an initial consultation before proceeding with your treatment. This is regardless of the fact that you have had this treatment elsewhere. This is to ensure we discuss your medical history and to ensure you are suitable for the procedure, fully educated and informed before proceeding with treatment.
If you are thinking about having the wrinkle relaxing treatment for corners of mouth, you might have questions about its safety. This treatment has long heritage of use, leading to confidence in its safety and efficacy. Wrinkle relaxing treatment is an approved treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, and when administered by trained, experienced professionals, there are low risks of side-effects and complications. This treatment is suitable for a wide range of people, but there are restrictions that should be applied. It is geared towards healthy men and women aged from 18 and onwards. It is not suitable for people with some underlying health conditions, including those with certain neurological and muscular diseases such as myasthenia gravis and motor neurone disease. If you are pregnant, or you have had an allergic reaction to the injections in the past, this treatment is also not suitable.
Many people assume that anti-wrinkle treatment is painful. The truth is that most people don’t experience any pain when they have this treatment. If you are nervous about having this treatment, or you have a fear of needles, we can use a mild topical anaesthetic to numb the skin beforehand. After treatment, the skin may be slightly red and inflamed, but you should feel comfortable, and you should be able to get straight back to work or whatever the rest of the day entails.
It can take about 14 days to see the full effects after the initial treatment. The cosmetic effects can last up to six months but typically range from three to four months. Eventually most people require another treatment as the masseter muscle activity re-appears. Frequent treatment at intervals of less than 3 months is NOT recommended.
We offer all our patients a free two week follow up appointment to assess the effect of treatment and administer any top up treatments if necessary.
Most people find that the treatment causes only mild local pain and tenderness. Immediately after the treatment, there may be mild swelling at the treatment site which usually subsides within 48 hours. Slight bruising is also possible. Side effects of these treatments are extremely rare.Occasionally, the treatment may relax nearby muscle groups causing temporary drooping of the mouth corner or curled in lower lip. This may last for a few weeks but will resolve with time. As with any medicine an allergic reaction may occur, this is however quite rare.
- Avoid make up for 24 hours post treatment.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the treated areas and avoid having facials and massage for 48 hours.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sauna and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
- If bruising develops then you can apply Arnica cream.
- Paracetamol can be taken for mild pain post procedure.
- We only use market-leading brands.
- We will not compromise on our standards and use the highest grade of dermal fillers for more dramatic results with better lift and tissue support.
- Consultation and treatment are personally undertaken by Dr Ghazala Khan who is an Advanced Aesthetics Practitioner trained in Anti-Wrinkle treatments and Dermal-Fillers. She is a full member of General Medical Council and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Member of Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.
- We provide excellent post treatment care.