A gummy smile, also known as excessive gingival display, is when you smile and too much gum tissue shows above the top teeth.
Wrinkle relaxing treatment works by relaxing the specific muscles in the face that are contracting more intensely, leading to over exposure of gums during smiling.
- An upper lip that is too short.
- An upper lip that is too thin.
- A hyperactive upper lip that is normal in length when the face is resting but lifts too high when smiling exposing a lot of gum tissue.
Treatment will depend on the cause of the problem:
If the problem is due to hyperactivity of the upper lip elevator muscles, a gummy smile can be simply and effectively treated with treatment directed at the overactive muscles. A small amount of botulinum toxin will be injected at both sides of the junction of nostril and nose to mouth fold to weaken the muscles. The treatment aims to relax the overactive lip elevator muscles, thus leading to correction/improvement of the gummy smile.
It is vital to have an initial consultation before proceeding with your treatment. This is regardless of the fact that you have had this treatment elsewhere. This is to ensure we discuss your medical history and to ensure you are suitable for the procedure, fully educated and informed before proceeding with treatment.
If you are thinking about having the wrinkle relaxing treatment for gummy smile, you might have questions about its safety. This treatment has long heritage of use, leading to confidence in its safety and efficacy. Wrinkle relaxing treatment is an approved treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, and when administered by trained, experienced professionals, there are low risks of side-effects and complications. This treatment is suitable for a wide range of people, but there are restrictions that should be applied. It is geared towards healthy men and women aged from 18 and onwards. It is not suitable for people with some underlying health conditions, including those with certain neurological and muscular diseases such as myasthenia gravis and motor neurone disease. If you are pregnant, or you have had an allergic reaction to the injections in the past, this treatment is also not suitable.
Many people assume that wrinkle relaxing treatment are painful. The truth is that most people don’t experience any pain when they have this treatment. If you are nervous about having this treatment, or you have a fear of needles, we can use a mild topical anaesthetic to numb the skin beforehand. After treatment, the skin may be slightly red and inflamed, but you should feel comfortable, and you should be able to get straight back to work or whatever the rest of the day entails. or whatever the rest of the day entails.
It can take about 14 days to see the full effects after the initial treatment. The cosmetic effects can last up to six months but typically range from three to four months. Eventually most people require re treatment as the gummy smile reappear. Frequent treatment at intervals of less than 3 months is NOT recommended.
We offer all our patients a free two week follow up appointment to assess the effect of treatment and administer any top up treatments if necessary.
Most people find that the treatment causes only mild local pain and tenderness. Immediately after the treatment, there may be mild swelling at the injection site which usually subsides within 48 hours. Slight bruising is also possible. Side-effects of this treatment is extremely rare. Occasionally, the treatment may relax nearby muscle groups causing temporary drooping of the eyebrow or eyelids. This may last for a few weeks, but it will resolve with time. As with any medicine an allergic reaction may occur, this is however quite rare. On the other hands, it might result into benefits to some people such as easing of tension type headaches as the muscles in the forehead relax. This treatment has been used for over 20 years and does not appear to cause any negative long-term effects.
- Avoid make up for 24 hours post treatment.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the treated areas and avoid having facials and massage for 48 hours.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sauna and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
- If bruising develops then you can apply Arnica cream.
- Paracetamol can be taken for mild pain post procedure.
- We only use market-leading brands.
- We will not compromise on our standards and use the highest grade of dermal fillers for more dramatic results with better lift and tissue support.
- Consultation and treatment are personally undertaken by Dr Ghazala Khan who is an Advanced Aesthetics Practitioner trained in Anti-Wrinkle treatments and Dermal-Fillers. She is a full member of General Medical Council and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Member of Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.
- We provide excellent post treatment care.