Platysmal neck bands
The platysmal bands are the two muscles that are located on both sides of your neck. Since the neck has a much thinner layer of skin than the face, and the skin around your neck naturally loses fat deposits and collagen as you get older, these muscles usually become increasingly visible over time. Usually, they are well-hidden and are only visible when you tightly grimace or clench your teeth while working out or in moments of extreme stress. During the ageing process, they may become very visible forming what is so-called ‘turkey neck’.
The platysmal neck bands are always there. It is just the frequency with which they become visible over time that changes. The three known culprits of neck age lines are:
- Weight loss
- Clenching your teeth, stress and anxiety
When injected into the muscle, the treatment stops the neural signals from being transmitted, thus relaxing the muscle’s hyperactivity. When injected into the vertical bands of the neck, it can relax the dynamic muscles, making them less prominent, and resulting in a smoother, younger looking neck. The results can generally last 4-6 months.
It is vital to have an initial consultation before proceeding with your treatment. This is regardless of the fact that you have had this treatment elsewhere. This is to ensure we discuss your medical history and to ensure you are suitable for the procedure, fully educated and informed before proceeding with treatment.
Most people find that the treatment causes only mild local pain and tenderness. Immediately after the treatment, there may be mild swelling at the treatment site, which usually subsides within 48 hours. Slight bruising is also possible. Side-effects of these treatment is extremely rare. As with any medicine, an allergic reaction may occur, this is however quite rare. Other rare specific side-effects include difficulty in speaking (dysphonia) and difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia) due to spread of the toxin to nearby muscle groups responsible for swallowing and phonation.
If you are thinking about having the wrinkle relaxing treatment for platysmal bands you might have questions about its safety. This treatment has long heritage of use, leading to confidence in its safety and efficacy. Wrinkle relaxing treatment is an approved treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, and when administered by trained, experienced professionals, there are low risks of side-effects and complications. This treatment is suitable for a wide range of people, but there are restrictions that should be applied. It is geared towards healthy men and women aged from 18 and onwards. It is not suitable for people with some underlying health conditions, including those with certain neurological and muscular diseases such as myasthenia gravis and motor neurone disease. If you are pregnant, or you have had an allergic reaction to the injections in the past, this treatment is also not suitable.
Many people assume that anti-wrinkle treatment is painful. The truth is that most people don’t experience any pain when they have this treatment. If you are nervous about having this treatment, or you have a fear of needles, we can use a mild topical anaesthetic to numb the skin beforehand. After treatment, the skin may be slightly red and inflamed, but you should feel comfortable, and you should be able to get straight back to work or whatever the rest of the day entails.
- Avoid make up for 24 hours post treatment.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the treated areas and avoid having facials and massage for 48 hours
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sauna and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
- If bruising develops then you can apply Arnica cream.
- Paracetamol can be taken for mild pain post procedure.
- We only use market-leading brands.
- We will not compromise on our standards and use the highest grade of dermal fillers for more dramatic results with better lift and tissue support.
- Consultation and treatment are personally undertaken by Dr Ghazala Khan who is an Advanced Aesthetics Practitioner trained in Anti-Wrinkle treatments and Dermal-Fillers. She is a full member of General Medical Council and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Member of Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.
- We provide excellent post treatment care.