Fat dissolving treatment comprises of an injectable compound made from a family of acids that cause fat destruction in the body. The solution is water-based and contains ingredients that bind to the fat cell walls, before rupturing and releasing the fat to be dissolved by your own body. When adipocytes or fat cells are broken down, this causes a localized inflammatory response. This inflammatory response is vital and allows the destroyed fat cells to be removed and excreted via the kidneys. It is important to know that this is not a weight loss treatment. This treatment is meant to treat stubborn areas of fat which do not improve despite exercise and diet.
Fat dissolving treatments are very effective for face and body sculpting and are ideal for clients who favour minimally invasive treatments.
This treatment can be used to treat the following areas: localised, stubborn fat deposits in areas such as the chin, stomach, outer and inner thighs, hips, knees etc.
Most patients notice a visible difference within six weeks. The number of treatments required ranges from three to four, with intervals of four weeks in between.
It is vital to have an initial consultation before proceeding with your first treatment – regardless if you have had this treatment elsewhere. This is to ensure we discuss your medical history and to ensure you are fully educated and informed before proceeding with treatment.
An article published in the Journal of Dermatology in 2017 found that there had been 990,000 vials of Adipocytic solution used in UK by the end of 2016, and not one single patient reported any serious reaction.
This treatment is not recommended when the patient is suffering from acute or chronic skin disease in the affected area. For safety reasons all patients with a medical history including anaphylactic reactions, severe allergies, severe organic or physical illnesses, autoimmune disease, lipodystrophy or diabetes, as well as women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are excluded from fat dissolving treatment.
This treatment is quite safe in experienced hands, but certain side effects may occur. These include:
- Bruising, redness, skin irritation, swelling in the treated area which may last a week or so. About 50% of patients experience numbness in the treated area which my last up to 4 weeks. These side effects are minimal and self-resolving.
- About 30% of patients report hardening of the treatment area, lasting for two months.
- A rarer side effect is scarring, which has been reported.
- Also, there is risk of an allergic reaction to one or more of the substances present in the fat dissolving medication.
There will be minimal discomfort during treatment. Usually an anaesthetic medication such as Lidocaine is added to the fat dissolving solution so that the two are injected together to minimize discomfort.
Once the unwanted fat is dissolved with this treatment; the effect is normally permanent. However, you must try to maintain a stable weight. If you gain weight following the procedure, it is possible that results might be compromised.
- Avoid make-up for 24 hours post treatment.
- Avoid rubbing or touching the treated areas and avoid having facials and massage for 48 hours.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sauna and alcohol-based products on the area treated for 48 hours.
- If bruising develops then you can apply arnica cream.
- Paracetamol can be taken for mild pain post procedure.
- We only use market-leading brands
- We will not compromise on our standards and use the highest grade of dermal fillers for more dramatic results with better lift and tissue support
- Consultation and treatment are personally undertaken by Dr Ghazala Khan who is an Advanced Aesthetics Practitioner trained in Anti-Wrinkle treatments and Dermal-Fillers. She is a full member of General Medical Council and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Member of Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.